Thursday, January 28, 2010

Chris H @ GBMC Sales Takes on Socal on the Triumph Thunderbird 1600!

How can you not be excited when your boss tells you “ Chris, your going out to southern California to ride some motorcycles” To be specific, the new Triumph Thunderbird. (I love my job) “OK Don, you talked me into it” Now I have to tell you, if you have never been to the San Diego area, you need to go. No bugs, no potholes, no frost heaves and some of the finest scenery in the country. So here I am, keys in hand to a brand new, all black and chrome 2010 Thunderbird. This thing had almost every piece of chrome available from Triumph bolted on to it. I’m such a sap for black and chrome. I have to tell you, when you hear that 1600 cc engine with the accessory mufflers come to life, it brings a broad smile to your face. I think to myself, Chris, they’re paying you to do this (an even bigger grin) so, here we go. 20 brand new Thunderbirds, rolling down the highway toward mount Palomar on some of the coolest roads I’ve ever ridden. The twist’s and turns on these roads are unbelievable. What’s even more unbelievable is the fact that I’m tearing up the road and carving through these corners on a cruiser. Not a sport bike like the Daytona 675 or the Street Triple R. I’m talking cruiser here. These things aren’t supposed to handle, are they? Well apparently the good folks at Triumph and Tim Prentice (the designer) thought differently. I got to spend some time with Tim and after a very short time you could see, this man is passionate about his designs. The project started in 2004 and the design work began in 2005. This was not a rushed project. A lot of time and effort went into this bike and when you get a chance to ride one, you’ll see why. Power delivery is excellent. It’s hard to believe that this is a parallel twin. The engine is as smooth as glass with enough torque to pull hard in any gear.


Black and chrome is so cool!

Want to run it up to red line. No problemo, winds right up to 6500 RPM without missing a beat. Rumors have it that a tire or two may have produced a puff of smoke here or there!

“OK” they said, it is time for you to switch bikes. So, I bid goodbye to black beauty and said hello to a silver and black Thunderbird with a couple of surprises. The headlight cowl and the short pipes gave a hint as to what this really was. A big bore! 1700cc’s, 104 cubic inches, 100 hp and 118 foot pound’s of torque! Now we’re talking.


Big bore! Oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m telling you, this thing sound’s awesome! The amazing thing is that the big bore is just as smooth as the standard engine. At idle you can hear the difference in the two engines but you cannot feel it. That is until you put it in gear and crack open the throttle. WOW! Here we go, you can feel the difference right away. Good thing this bike has some great brakes. Over the years I have had the opportunity to ride many different bikes. Some leave a lasting impression, some not so much. This is one that will leave a smile on your face for many years to come. In comparison to a recent test ride that I took on a friend’s Dyna glide, this new Thunderbird is clearly a superior machine. It out powers and out handles the Harley hands down! And, you can actually see what’s behind you through the mirrors at idle. Try doing that on a Dyna. Triumph has redefined what a cruiser should be. Tons of smooth power, impressive handling, great look’s and a bike that is comfortable to ride all day long. I’m looking forward to getting this years demo on the lot and can’t wait until our riding season is back. I wonder if the boss will let me add a big bore kit and pipes. Hmmmmmm. It can’t hurt to ask! Good luck trying to get the keys away from me!

Chris Hafner

Sales



The weather was just perfect!



Snow in southern California?????

No comments:

Post a Comment