Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Hypermotard Rocks



My romance with motorcycles borders on obsession. The first time I eased out on a clutch lever I was hooked forever. Thirty five years, countless motorcycles, and one award winning dealership later, I still love to throw my leg over almost anything with two wheels.

In my riding career I have had the opportunity to own and experience more motorcycles than I could ever keep track of. In some ways, like a junkie, I always chase the motorcycle high. So imagine my surprise when I find myself more enamored of my current bike than any other ever. How the heck is this possible?

The Ducati Hypermotard is a fabulous bike. The riding position is high and commanding. The bike handles like a razor blade and requires very little steering input. The brakes are strong Brembo units and the beefy suspension soaks up the bumps at low speeds and keeps you on track at high ones. The 17” front and rear wheels give you sport bike agility and cornering. The bike is simply one of the best packages ever assembled by Ducati for every man.

I believe everyone should try this bike. The Ducati Hypermotard will make you a better rider. You can see in traffic over and around cars easily. The bikes performance envelope is so vast that you operate the machine with huge amounts of reserve capability in every direction.

The 1100 c.c. dual spark motor is divine. Not super powerful, but easy to use and darn quick if you ask for it to be. Add one of the requisite Ducati performance exhaust options and the bike sounds like it should. Like a Ducati twin, and in my very biased opinion better than any other motorcycle engine, period. Nothing sounds like or feels like a Ducati.

Last season we had a Hypermotard S demo unit. I rode it every day that I could and basically forgot about the rest of the fleet here. Then at the Ducati dealer meeting in California I had the distinct pleasure of riding through the cork screw at Laguna Seca on a Hypermotard S model equipped with, among other things, the full Titanium Ducati Performance exhaust system. Wow. It was literally a dream come true, a simply awesome experience. This year our S demo was sold to a happy customer, and days later while longing for the bike I ordered myself a Hypermotard.

That bike now has the Termignoni 2 into 2 carbon silencer kit and sounds great with the baffles removed and is mellow enough to ride through the ‘hood without causing too much of a racket. Yet, anywhere above four grand it is sweet music, sweet sweet music. I installed a lovely Speedy Moto pressure plate and clutch cover with a spring kit, and the bike now has the distinct dry clutch sound that makes you immediately think of a race track bred Ducati. To complete the basic package, a carbon fibre rear mudguard helps keep the back end tidy, properly adorned with our skull and cross bones speedometer logo.


If I have to go anywhere I always try to make it so I can go by bike. If I can I send the family ahead in the station wagon, work most of the day on Saturday, and meet them later. With that in mind I ordered up Ducati’s tank cover and tank bag kit, and the optional front side panniers. Equipped with this super stylish luggage set up I dubbed my beloved Hyper “the water buffalo.” Check out the photos on our site. The bags become part of the “fairing,” and while cruising at 90 mph the bike is truly comfortable. The capacity of the bags is more than enough for a long weekend away, and that includes carrying a substantial rain suit. I do advise leaving the XD style dirt bike helmet at home for highway or high speed travel. It is fabulous for around town on the Hyper, but a bit hard on the neck at speed.






Speaking of dirt bikes, if you have ever ridden them and or love them to this day jumping on the Hypermotard is like putting on a well broken in pair of your boots or gloves. It just feels so right once you are in the saddle. Plus the big flat saddle allows you to move into the perfect position for your individual comfort.


Now those of you with a passion for American Twins or Teutonic tanks will be biased against this bike. You probably won’t like the tall stature, lack of a full faring, nimble handling, and smaller fuel capacity. That is okay, because this bike was not created for you. But this bike was created for everyone with a motorcyclist’s soul. This bike was created for people who enjoy FUN. This bike was created for people who use their heads and their hearts when riding. This bike was created for people passionate about the actual act of riding.

Ducati’s get under your skin, and create a motorcycle lust unlike any other bike. I know, I have the affliction. The Hypermotard inspires excitement unlike any other bike that I know. Am I excited about the Hypermotard? Yes, and kind of off the charts about the whole thing. With all of my deep involvement in motorcycling the Hypermotard has truly made me even happier to love bikes and love Ducati. The Hypermotard truly rocks!
Come test ride a Hypermotard at Great Bay Ducati. We would love to blow your mind!

~ Don @ Great Bay Motorcycles!

No comments:

Post a Comment